Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Marcia the Intern

Oh look! I still have this blog...I should totally write something on it! But what? I suppose I could talk about my current life status, but that would take multiple blog posts and honestly...I just don't want to. So let's talk about something fun.

In 2009 I had this crazy idea to finally go to college. My then two kids were old enough that I'd have the free time...so away I went. A lot has happened since then. A lot of good, and a whole lot of bad. I've survived, but changed so much and my closest friends know how much...and even those who just follow and care about me have probably picked up on a lot. This last semester has kicked off another exciting yet exhausting chapter of my life. I'm almost done...and I'm interning at the best place I could ever imagine me being at...

Children's Miracle Network

Apparently this internship is causing some confusion for my friends so I'd like to use this blog post to explain a bit more about what this whole internship thing is all about. This is an official class I have to take to complete my Bachelor's Degree in Communications/Public Relations. This is my Senior Internship and I have to complete 190 hours in the Children's Miracle Network office here in Jacksonville, and an additional 20 volunteer hours for a grand total of 210 hours in addition to my other classes, juggling kids, and everything else I do.

This is an UNPAID internship. This is not a job or a promise of a job. As many others have said regarding internships: “It’s worse than working for free. They’re actually paying to work.”This is nothing but a positive experience for me though and I am so thankful that they took me under their wing. Yes, technically I am literally paying to volunteer to work as an intern for Children's Miracle Network. I do NOT work for CMN. The way local CMN offices work is that they are an extension of the hospital they support (if I'm getting this right), either way I am currently considered a volunteer for UF Health. I am not doing this as a "job", I am still very much without income...but I do get free lunch each day! WIN WIN WIN!
They put my name on the wall and everything :) Kidding...mostly...
The major difference between myself and those who begrudgingly say that they are doing a "required internship" (that you pay for in credit hours), is that I WANT TO BE THERE. I want to be there so much. I love everything that these ladies do for our community. For our hospitals and most of all for our kids and their families. I want to soak it all in. Every task I do, no matter how simple is a joy to me. And I am NOT just saying this. Everything matters in a non-profit. Thanking people is a HUGE part of what they do, and as silly as it sounds I had a blast today putting address labels on postcards to thank people for a past event. I get a kick out of the energy in the office, and for someone who is MUCH older than the rest of them...I am learning more than I hoped. Whether they know it or not, every day I am learning SO MUCH and I am just soaking it all in.

My favorite part about this internship is that I feel like I am giving as good as I am getting. I've picked up a lot of skills along the way and love that I am able to give back and help them out as well. I hope that in the end this not only results in me learning from them, but also continuing to strengthen our relationship in terms of Extra Life, and that we can all learn from each other.

Bonus, I can actually use my experience with Extra Life and helping our local hospitals toward my degree. Could it get any better?

My current schedule is exhausting. I'm falling behind in my podcasting and writing, but school will be over soon, and hopefully the 3-4 hour commute each day to get things done. I miss gaming, I miss writing, I miss podcasting...I miss having a social life...but there's a light at the end of the tunnel and the tunnel is going to have some amazing lasting learning experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment