Thursday, February 18, 2010

8.5 Weeks - The Burp Cloth Project!


I'm getting cabin fever. The summer was crazy, and then I had fall classes to go to almost every day. Well now that I'm taking online classes at home, they're much easier and take way less time and I am getting so insanely bored being stuck in the house all day. I know I could clean, but the house isn't THAT messy and it really wipes me out. So I have been hunting for projects to do. If any of you have suggestions or neat ideas let me know! I've still got a little over 8 weeks until this little sucker pops out.

Soooo I went out last weekend and bought some cute fabric. I guess I could have bargain shopped and collected cheap cuts over time, I do get lots of 50% off coupons for JoAnn's. But fabric isn't THAT expensive and the baby flannel and cotton prints are just so freaking cute! So I narrowed it down to a few favorites and bought some stuff to make burp cloths and a baby blanket.

This was a super easy project. All you have to do is figure out what size you want your stuff. It doesn't really have to be exact. Just make it wide enough to cover your shouler, and long enough to cover your front and back...you know...the area your baby will be projectile vomiting their formula over. Mine depended on how the lenght of the fabric (which is never exactly the same) and how much I could get out of it.

Then you take the two fabrics and sew them together at the edges with the right sides facing each other. Leave an opening with enough room to get your hand in there to flip it rightside out when you're done sewing. Then once you've flipped it right, put a simple stich in to hold it together and sew all the way around the edges. You're done!

This took me about 10 minutes per cloth including measuring, cutting and pinning time. Really simple.

I picked up this cheap fabric at Walmart (a place I hate) for only $2.97 a yard, the cuts frayed like crazy in the wash and weren't the best, but I liked the fabrics and the end product turned out super cute!
Photobucket

The picture at the top of the blog is my classy burp cloths. It's for when I want to go out and public and still look fashionable with puke on me. I also lucked out and happened to have enough double bias tape left over from another project to put a brown border around one of them. I'm tempted to go out and buy more to do the rest, but they still look fine the way they are.

Then I did a blanket, which was a little more challenging, just because it was fun to get all the edges to lay flat together, and used the rest of the cute green lady bug fabric and hot pink fabric to make a couple oversized burp cloths.
Project1

Oh and here's a picture of me from last weekend. Am I huge or what?
Photobucket

So that's it for my project for this week. Again, I am looking for some fun ideas so if you have any send them my way!

Also that horrible hip pain I was having at my 9 week update is still there, but now it's just mostly at night when I roll over on my left side and curse the pregnancy gods. My left side has ALWAYS been my go-to side for sleeping so this is really throwing me off at night, and it hurts so freaking bad. But I'll live. Thanks for caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment